BOTTLED

  • “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. Dr. Suess

Friday, July 30, 2010

AGELESS


There is a two year old that lives at my house – no silly, not me – a real genuine 2 year old – my granddaughter, Cynthia.

Soon after her arrival her mother warned us she might establish some overt ownership.  When I got up from the couch to walk I found myself tugging vainly on my cane as she announced, “Mine,” and clasped it firmly in her death grip.

I felt like a 2 year old. I let go. I made do with my walker.

When I returned she was seated on the couch with my blanket and cane.  “Mine,” she said. 

I sat on a soft chair until she moved long enough and far enough that I could hobble to the couch and lay down again.  She glared at me and went directly to the walker.  “Cyndi’s” she claimed and entertained herself until nap time discovering its wheels and brakes, folding and unfolding it, and sitting on the seat that she accidentally popped into place. 

There is a funny saying about ‘what’s mine is mine, what’s yours is mine, if I see it its mine etc.’If anyone has it please send it to me - I want to post it on my frig.

 I am NOT willing to play tug-a-war with a child repetitively.  I pondered, “how can I get what is mine?” – hey, wait a minute, something about that word, mine, has a familiar  ring to it. Am I acting like a 2 year old too?  Is my attitude all about ownership, about ME?

I thought about my sweet little Cyndi and how much she must miss all that was known in her small world before she moved to this new place.  Even her daddy is far away and she only sees and hears him on the phone.  I realized she doesn’t even know what might be hers.  Do I know what is ‘mine’?

I felt a calm realization that nothing is mine and all I have and am I have been blessed with by my loving Father in Heaven.  He promises me that he will share everything he has with me and even tells me how to get it.  He tells me all the ways to achieve everything he has and is.  He calls those suggestions and directions commandments. He even sent his son, Jesus Christ, to show me how to obey and to set an example for me. I wonder if I can set an example for Cyndi.

The next time I need to walk and reach for my cane my granddaughter again grips it and emphatically claims, “mine”.  I smile at her and say, “OK Cynthia, it is yours. Will you share it with me? Please help me walk.”  She loves to help.  She handed over the cane and carefully supervised its use. 

Cynthia now owns most of my house and yard.  That’s OK because we share.  The more she ‘owns’ the more secure she seems to feel and the more willing she is to share and ‘help’. I consider all the things I think I own. I wonder if I am willing to share with others and 'help' them.  

Tonight I winced when I stood up from supper.  I am still having some residual pain occasionally. Sometimes the pain takes me by surprise and I don’t hide it well. Cynthia noticed my funny face.  “You K?” she asked; that surprised me too. When I initially was unable to respond, she asked again, “you K?” Then, in her baby angel voice she inquired, “walker?” and repeated, “walker?’ until I reassured her I was fine.

I hope I can follow her example of care and concern for those around me.  Perhaps I can become more able to follow the Master’s plan and example as I try to do so.  I hope I can always be willing to share too, willing to give – as well as to take; willing to follow a child’s innocent example.

Perhaps I can still learn it’s not all about me.

3 comments:

  1. Aunt Linda, I am so glad I came across your blog. Each one of your posts inspires me to look deeper. And always they bring a smile to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to call if you come through this way on your way to Victoria. It would be wonderful to see you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When Cynthia first came I thought she was MY granddaughter. I have come to learn that it is I who belong to her.

    ReplyDelete